Michael Bass gave us a lesson on storyboarding. You would have your scene, numbered, and under it you would put your action, dialogue, camera, number of frames per shot and music with any sound effects. Reading the notes he put up for us, it lists types of camera shots:
- Extreme long shot – shows the character off in the distance. This can be used for an establishing shot.
- Long shot – shows character’s whole body with enough room to move comfortably.
- Medium long shot – can include two characters from the waist up.
- Medium/waist shot –
yes you guessed ithas the character from the waist up.
- Medium close up shot – normally from the chest up, is used for reactions.
- Close up shot – of the head or another part for emphasis.
- Extreme close up shot – an example is a shot of just the eyes or mouth for dramatic effect.
Also mentioned the term trucking which means zooming in or out. Staging is important to consider, the audiences viewpoint can set the mood. The main principle of staging is to make sure the character has enough room on the screen to do the action.
We had discovered part of the Iron Man 3 animatic, it’s a mix of static and animated images:
Rebecca had also shown us these animatic clips for Monster’s Inc and Tangled:
We perfected our story that we decided on from the previous week and worked out the different scenes and camera shots we would use as well as sound effects and transitions.
Then we moved onto making a quick experimental animatic using shadow puppets. We did this by planning how we were going to show each scene and cut out shapes from paper to cast the appropriate shadows
which is easier said than done.
It was easy to adjust their size and move them around using string and our hands but holding the scenery still for long enough was quite challenging!
After we recorded each scene, Caitlin worked her magic on editing it and putting it together.
So here it is!
Although we didn’t stop there, we wanted to do more! The team already had a few digital paintings done so we decided to include them and finish some more for our animatic. Michelle had edited some of her work using After Effects and had the character moving within the frame, so we wanted to do some more frames like this to get a better understanding of all the timing involved.
These are some of my animatic frames:
So here’s our colour animatic:
As you can see from our coloured animatic we had an issue with the continuity of our drawing styles… So we decided to make yet another animatic.
For our black and white version we collaborated together on the frames. I did the backgrounds, Michelle drew Mossi and Rebecca put in all the details. Michelle had assembled the moving scenes using After Effects and I then put them together with sound in iMovie: