A blog post on
everything that went wrong how we modelled.
So I tackled the central ship part of our city… more difficult than I thought.
Adding straight edges to a smoothed sphere with poles is nothing short from a nightmare! In hindsight I should have started with a smoothed cube. Here’s some lighting tests before adding the texture:
I used Mudbox to paint on the texture. Our textured ship:
The volcano was easy enough to model. Dragging up vertices with soft select on a plane to make something that resembled a volcano. Reference images:
The volcano model:
Rosie then took the volcano file and created smoke to generate from the volcano that is going to slightly obscure our city
and it’s so damn awesome.
Jordan modelled the spire and then passed it onto me. I used the soft select tool to create the rocky surface.
For texturing, Alec suggested Mudbox which lets you paint directly onto the geometry. However when I tried to paint onto the spire, the geometry had other ideas. We ended up abandoning this model and Jordan and I then made another one. Updated model:
Again, we tried texturing this in Mudbox but behold, it too had awful geometry. So we just added an overall hypershade texture.
Sam modelled the gyroscope rings and sent them onto me for texturing. We wanted the inner faces to glow but we couldn’t figure out how to turn down the glow strength until Rosie saved the day.
Rosie modelled the flags that are attached to the rings:
Flags with the texture:
Once we had all the individual parts modelled and textured we imported them into one workspace which completely killed my Mac. Everything thing was fine until it came to trying to get the flags to move along with the rings. The rings were already animated but without locators so we couldn’t combine the geometry.
In the end Alec explained to me that it was better to use the ncache of the flags and get rid of the ncloth.
I then keyframed the camera movements and rendered the scene on multiple macs which I think is why the smoke simulation kept restarting.